Sunday, February 27, 2011

I'm Roosevelt Franklin, ya ya ya!

 
To celebrate Black History Month, I've been listening to the Roosevelt Franklin record on repeat during my drives to and from work. Roosevelt Franklin was a puppet on Sesame Street during it's very early years. He lasted from 1970 to around 1975. Roosevelt Franklin was pulled off Sesame Street because he was said to represent a negative stereotype of black people. Geesh, first of all, Roosevelt Franklin is PURPLE. Secondly, Roosevelt Franklin is COOL (he talks in scat and rhymes and sings with a whole lotta soul). Thirdly, he's SMART!
In his album, "My Name is Roosevelt Franklin" he teaches kids important things like the alphabet, the days of the week, sharing, and most importantly, to not judge others based on the colour of their skin.
Anyway, I love this album so much, I wanna make Roosevelt Franklin puppets (including Baby Ray, Mary Francis, ABCito, etc) and perform the entire album!

Some other things I've done in this month to celebrate Black History Month:
  • Watch the black exorcist (or blaxorcist), Abby. Best blaxploitation horror movie I've ever seen!! Seriously, just watch this youtube clip of Abby and you'll understand what I'm talking about.
  • Drank the Obama blend coffee at the Obama Cafe on the Danforth.

Happy last day of Black History Month everyone!!

1 comment:

  1. welcome back to blog town katie - we missed you!

    at first i thought roosevelt franklin was gob's puppet from arrested development... my bad.

    also, OBAMA CAFE. amazing.
    i miss the danforth. i can't get a good spanokopita here to save my life!

    so excited you're back! :D

    ReplyDelete